Monday, June 11, 2007

Diplomatic in Delhi

‘Michio,’ thunders the lady, blowing out thick red-painted lips like a coquette, smiling. ‘You’ve put on weight. My friends also tell me I’m getting fat.’ She’s being nice, and evidently wants the world to know it, so everyone seated in the large member’s bar at India Habitat Centre in Delhi hears it.

Michio, a portly Japanese gentleman, and a professional diplomat, shrinks inside his linen jacket.

‘So Michio, will you be going to Paris next month?’ her husband, all stripes and gold frame glasses, laughs loudly through the query. ‘We’re going.’ These too are diplomats. In diplomacy, you’re evidently supposed to smile and laugh as you talk, so as to not offend others. But wars still happen.

‘Do you want to buy her a sari?” blowfish-lady says, still smiling. ‘How tall is she? This is important for the petticoat.’ Michio evidently mumbles something. ‘Five feet?’ she bellows heartily. ‘How much is that in inches? I’m more comfortable in metres and centimetres. Don’t Japanese deal in metric?’

Michio is like a roll of anaemic sushi, ever deeper in his jacket. It’s just his face that’s red. I inadvertently catch his eye, but act blank-faced to save his face, and turn to the house TV to watch Rafael Nadal take apart Roger Federer at the French Open.

At least Indian worldview has expanded in the few short years when Indian passports were objects of derision at immigration stations around much of the world. A meek-looking Japanese gentleman, this one a tourist, was ahead of me in the security queue at Delhi’s international airport.

His misfortune was that he carried labels that said “Banana Republic”. The smartly dressed policeman stopped him. ‘What country is that?’ he shouted, all efficiency. He had a point. After all, my carry-on bag didn’t have a tag that proclaimed, “Republic of India”.

He was allowed to pass after finally showing his cherry-red Japanese passport, the geopolitical argument of this hitherto-unknown nation, with the help of a substantial population of the departure lounge, being settled with Banana Republic revealed as an American clothing and accessories firm. And so, an incident was averted.

I hope he returned. I hope Michio returns, recovered from volume, and petticoats for his five-foot tall spouse. We have much to show. The Banana Republic is today a self-proclaimed superpower in the making. We’re shouting it to the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ulabusuhu.virtue.nu/domakaz.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://lovokucoh.100freemb.com/hihyky.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real money.
It gets down to choose a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]