Monday, June 4, 2007

Mr Peacock flies solo

Roger Philip Peacock was burning with gusto when I arrived at St Inez crematorium.

There was nobody else. The two who had arrived before me, my hotelier friend Marius, and Darshan, a businessman turned somewhat-yogi from Nepal and one of Roger’s acquaintances, were the only two others mourners. They were leaving as I parked my car.

‘I’ll go and say hello to Roger,’ I told Marius.

‘Good idea,’ he agreed. Marius is a gentleman that way. He shows up for the funeral of his regulars. Roger was one.

I barely knew Roger. He was part of the global flotsam that swirls around in Goa, in some part makes Goa what it is. I would see him sometimes at the bar of Marius’ hotel, the Cavala, hanging around with some of his ageing Brit friends. He was the joker in the pack, dressing and behaving outrageously. He used to have a band of his own, I was told. He even knew Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of Rolling Stones. I could believe that: Mick and Keith have known a lot of people; besides, Roger looked as haggard.

Roger’s musical days, however, were over. He was harmless spectacle--mostly. If you hugged him, he would try to kiss you back. As that is not my kind of business, I shook his hand. Once. Maybe I bought him a beer—my memory is fuzzy on that episode. That’s it.

He died riding pillion on a motorcycle in mid-May, a “taxi” typical in Goa. The driver, called a “pilot”, died instantly. Roger died two days later. He was then put on ice at Goa Medical College. Nobody he knew, knew.

Marius found out when Roger’s bank called several days later; Marius had helped him open a bank account in Goa and was a guarantor. Mr Peacock had the equivalent of 300 pounds sterling in his account.

That’s all he had left in the world. Rock and roll.

Marius arranged for his cremation. He called me: would I show up? Sure, I said, nobody should travel alone if they can help it.

Roger was hauled out of the morgue on May 31, and taken by a mortician Marius had arranged to the crematorium. You know the rest.

So I stood there, watching Roger burn brightly along with bits of log and bamboo, his casket of tinder. There was a pyre two pyres to his left, burning lonely and low. I stood for a few minutes, so Roger wouldn’t feel alone. There was nobody else around except a knot of crematorium workers in a corner near the entrance. A quiet day.

I said a polite farewell and left after ten minutes or so. On my way out, I noticed a large pile of neatly stacked used tyres. An attendant came up to me, drawn by my curious voyeurism.

‘That man,’ I pointed at Roger. ‘All alone.’

‘All alone,’ he agreed, then smiled. ‘But you came, no? And two people before you. Many go alone.’

‘What are the tyres for?’ I asked. I had never noticed them before, here or at any other crematorium.

‘We place three or four at the bottom of each pyre,’ he explained. ‘Burns better.’

Nothing but the best for Mr Peacock.

21 comments:

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Very different voice from the novel. When is the next one due?

Hope there was no lasting damage from the crash. Brain seems clear enough, wonder if the acid still bubbles.

J.A.P.

chakraview said...

Thanks J.A.P. all well. The acid still bubbles. I just wanted to share some slice-of-life, things that wouldn't make a book or article.

The second novel, based in the churn of present-day Goa should be out by end-2007 or early 2008. Also Penguin. It's part-satirical. Would have been out sooner, but my publishers (and I agreed) to schedule a non-fiction work of mine on India's leftwing revolutionaries, for late autumn. Let's see...

Luca Mathmos said...

dear Mr.Chakravarti, I'm Italian and I wish I would ask you a question about Roger Peacock.
I knew one Roger Peacock, English musician, aged 65 (circa) and he was a member of few groups during the sixties, such as The Cheynes and Mark Leeman Five, but he was most famous as the lead singer of the Dave Anthony's Moods.
That group mainly played in Italy during 1967-1970 and Roger must spoke a little bit of Italian too!
News that he died in a bike accident in Goa echoed here in Italy few month ago, but no one can confirm this, his old mate in the band Tim (who lives in Reading, UK) told me about the dead of Roger. Is the same person that you descrive in your post?
Do you confirm That?
Thanks for your eventually replies
Your sincerely
Luca

chakraview said...

Hello Mr Mathmos,

Yes, this Roger is the same Roger. It was heartbreaking to see his death. I am happy you came by this post; this blog has stayed idle for a long time.

I hope to have answered your question. Should you need to clarify something else, please let me know.

Good day.

Luca Mathmos said...

Thank you for your quickly replies
you must know that I'm a friend of Tim Large and Bob Michaels, who were companions of Roger in the Dave Anthony's Moods in their Italian days 40 years ago.
Sadly no one have any article or recent picture of Roger...it's possible to find something?
cheers
Luca

Jeremy Pender said...

Luca:

I've found this Wikipedia article (in Italian!), if that helps:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Peacock

I'm an old friend of Roger's from his Cheynes days, when he and Mick Fleetwood roomed together in Bayswater. He was indeed great fun, as was Mick too, and I'm really sorry I didn't make the effort to try and find him again before now.

Luca Mathmos said...

dear Jeremy,
thanks for your suggest
the page on wikipedia was posted by myself.
if you want to tell me some more about Roger I will grateful.
Everybody miss him....

Jeremy Pender said...

But who told Tim Large about Roger's death, Luca? Might it have been Marius at the Cavala Hotel? If so, mightn't Marius now be the best person to ask?

Luca Mathmos said...

Don't know who told Tim about Roger's death, I was asking him any news and he replies to me telling about his death...than I luckly found this blog and Mr. Chakravarti confirmed me everything. So I meet Bob Michaels (he lives in Lugano, I'm from Varese - not too far) and tell the sadly news. If a friend of mine named Maurizio (who sometimes lives in Goa in a rent house), next January will flies to India, hope that he goes to Marius Hotel for any anectods about Roger
cheers
Luca

Jeremy Pender said...

Oh, okay, Luca, maybe Maurizio can help in January. Meanwhile, I've emailed the Cavala to ask if Marius can give us any more information. Also, though, it might be a good idea for you to ask Tim again.

Tim said...

I'm the Tim referred to. Jeremy, I have no solid information about Roger beyond what you obviously know already - but happy to share anecdotal stuff.

Jeremy Pender said...

Thank you, Tim. I didn't get a reply from the Cavala, but maybe Maurizio will have more luck next month. Meanwhile, if a recent photo of Roger can be found for Luca to add to his Wikipedia article, please, that would be nice.

Jeremy Pender said...

Luca, please could you by any chance include a link to this page in your Wikipedia article?

Luca Mathmos said...

ok Jeremy, done!!

David said...

Dear Mr.Chakravarti

After thinking about Roger on this new year’s day I Googled his name and came up with your article.

I was suprised to read your account of his death as I was under the impression that the bike was being driven by rogers drinking partner and mutual friend Ron Shaw who was killed instantly.If I was misinformed about this I may have been wrongly under the impression that Ron has been dead for two and a half years.

Please put my mind at rest

David.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Jeremy Pender said...

Has there been no news from Maurizio in Goa yet, or about whether it was David's friend Ron Shaw on that bike with Roger?

Luca Mathmos said...

not yet...any news, but I wrote to my friend to tell me something....

David said...

Hi Jeremy

Just a quick update to put the record straight. I sent some friends who are in goa on the mission of finding out who was on that bike with Roger. It was indeed Ron Shaw who died at the scene and not a taxi pilot as supposed.

Regards David.

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy Pender said...

Thank you, David, and I'm sorry to hear that it was in fact your friend Ron who died too.