Sunday, June 24, 2007

Mr Gosh, goodfella

I met a rude man who wasn’t me on a plane to Goa. He was going home. So was I. He told me he built hotels. He refracted the day’s light into my face off a watch so big it appeared to be related to a grandfather clock. When he heard what I did for a living, he started to sneer.

Why y’all writers go to Goa?’

'Who all?' I asked, and caught myself just in time to prevent a spontaneous localised follow-through: ‘and all.’

‘Now dis Gosh also, no?’

‘You mean Ghosh, Amitav Ghosh.’

‘Ya, Gosh. He’s here, no? Goodfella? Or just--dis dat--one more outsider?’

Yes, I said politely, refraining from obliterating his face with stale airline omlette. Mr Ghosh has bought a place in Aldona, a quiet, somewhat picturesque village a few kilometres upriver from where I live. And yes, he’s a good fellow.

I’ll stick up for my new neighbour. It’s born of familiarity. Mr Ghosh and I have been intersecting for a bit, you see.

It has happened in usual and unusual ways. The usual way is the way a person intersects with a writer of growing stature. First, with pride. Then with joy, and more pride. And so on, soaking up The Circle of Reason; The Shadow Lines; In an Antique Land; The Calcutta Chromosome; The Glass Palace; and more recently, The Hungry Tide.

As much as I cherish these intersections, the unusual ones too have filled me with, well, fulfillment. Indeed, these have been so many I sometimes feel like I can call him Amitav. So many do. A person who interviewed him for a listings-magazine article about somebody else. People who attended his housewarming at Aldona. (I was travelling then, alas, and had to suffer the ignominy of people telling me “You know, the other evening at Amitav’s…” I responded weakly with “Ah, how is he?” while they curled upper lips at such a rank outsider.)

And so, to other intersections.

I badgered Mr Ghosh several years ago to write an article for a special three-part Millennium Series I was editing then at India Today. He politely turned down the emailed request. Then I phoned him at his Brooklyn home. He turned me down. Then I told him I would be in New York for a couple of days, so could we please meet? He suggested that I call him when I got in.

I did. First, he suggested we meet at Dean & DeLuca’s ('Ah,' trilled Dayanita Singh, a photographer friend of his and now fiercely Goan resident, when I recounted the tale to her this past April. 'He wanted to get rid of you quickly.') Then he changed his mind, and said why don’t I get to Brooklyn and he’d collect me near the subway station. ('Ah,' I trilled back, ‘See.')

So I took a train from mid-town Manhattan to Brooklyn, and somewhere, after Wall Street and under the East River, saw bankers mysteriously change into basketball players. Mr Ghosh drove me to a pleasant restaurant by a neat park and bought me excellent Mexican beer. He patiently heard my spiel about how important it was for India Today to publish him in the special issue, and how it would be pointless to publish without him.

He politely turned me down, suggesting both that he didn’t have the time, and that he didn’t agree with the political orientation of the magazine. The issue sold out—and I managed to get several big names to write—but I sorely missed Mr Ghosh.

Several years later, in August 2005, I bumped into him in Kolkata, the day after the reading in that city of my debut novel, Tin Fish. I had gone with some friends to the pub at the Park hotel. The edgy and excellent local jazz/blues band Skinny Alley was playing.

‘There’s Amitav,’ my brother-in-law pointed out. ‘You know him?’

‘Of course I know Amitav. I’ve met Mr Ghosh before.’

I sauntered over to Mr Ghosh and yelled over the noise. ‘Hi. We met in New York.’ Mr Ghosh hadn’t a clue.

‘You bought me beer at that place in Brooklyn in 1999,’ I reminded him.

‘How nice,’ he said politely.

‘I’ve also written a book, you know. Just had the Kolkata launch yesterday.’

‘How nice.’

'It's called Tin Fish.

'How nice.'

‘Enjoy,’ I breezily told him, one novelist to another, and promptly, gleefully, got tanked on all the beer my brother-in-law bought his brother-in-law-who-knew-Amitav. What the hell.

Then we started to be neighbours, Mr Ghosh and I.

I walked into Crossword Bookstore at Pedder Road, Mumbai in October the same year and saw Tin Fish on the same shelf as Mr Ghosh’s books. Thrilled, I opened one of his. He had signed his name in an elegant flourish, black ink. Energised, I signed mine name in inelegant caterpillar, blue ink. So there, I thought, and swaggered out.

We were soon neighbours again. Wespennest, a respected German literary magazine brought out a special issue to highlight Indian writing during the Frankfurt Book Fair in 2006. A friend sent me a copy. Among others, there was an essay by Mr Ghosh, an excerpt from Kiran Nagarkar’s powerful God’s Little Soldier, poems by Adil Jussawalla, Arundhati Subramaniam and Ranjit Hoskote—and an entire Tin Fish chapter, a deconstruction of Indira Gandhi.

I got tanked again. Gleefully.

Now I hear he has signed up for a few books with Penguin, my publisher in India. I don’t know if this information is correct, but I do know it is downright neighbourly.

Goodfella, Mr Ghosh.

4 comments:

Mayoite said...

There's another thing that you and Amitava have in common. You both studied English at Stephen's. But I guess you knew that already.....

He's actually more my '70's generation - used to be quite a pompous sort of guy in college. But I'm glad to say that success has had the opposite effect that it usually does - and made him a nicer human being. We have a good friend in common Alka Mansukhani at whose parent's home on Malabar Hill in Mumbai, we used to bump into each other. I think he is a brilliant writer - someone who can really entrance you with his fluid style of writing and attention to detail. A definite candidate for the Booker prize one of these days.

chakraview said...

I entirely agree, Ranjan. Someday he's going to shame the Booker panel into giving him one.

One quibble, though. I studied History at St. Stephen's.

Damned shame what's going on at Stephen's now in the name of religion.

rpm60 said...

What is happening at Stephen's in the name of religion?

Anonymous said...

[color=red]The Most Affordable XRUMER/BACKLINK SERVICE Online!
The EFFORTLESS and POWERFUL WAY TO BUILD MASSIVE # OF BACKLINKS
[color=black]
200,000 BLASTS of your URLs+ Anchor Tex, message, pictures (can be spinned) etc
$10 USD (shared with other clients like a carpool), or
$25/200k for exclusive!(you control EVERYTHING)
$50 Exclusive @ 500,000 blasts.
(Complete reports will be given to clients)

[IMG]http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1540/arrowdownh.gif[/IMG]
For orders, questions or concerns? Email: [u]formless.void47 at gmail.com [/u]
Note:
1. For STRICT Whitehat sites, it is advised to create buffers to pass on linkjuice. i.e. social bookmarks, cloaked pages etc.
You can blast the site directly, but it entails risk.
Using buffers are 100% safe, speaking from experience.
2. Xrumer is a very technical tool. Just describe to me what sorts of effects you want and well make it happen!
If you want to buy Xrumer?
>>>>> http://cloakedlink.com/chzgykebsd <<<<<<

[color=black]
-------
CLIENT 2 SAMPLE SPACE FILLED WITH URLs,Pics and Keywords
seo submit best keywords buy seo elite seo keyword count seo agency london lsi seo law firm seo online seo course seo optimize seo spyglass seo magazine text ads Xrumer Demo youtube seo seo chile local seo company black hat seo tools seo price Xrumer Review seo manchester seo health check seo security best seo ottawa chinese seo expert seo law seo meta tags dental seo seo joomla london seo algorithm seo 101 search engine strategies seo seo training hyderabad seo analysis online buy pr link seo jobs in delhi seo training delhi seo altrincham seo soft seo equalizer reciprocal link seo bournemouth chicago organic seo north carolina seo seo nyc seo check Buy Permanent Text Links seo services pakistan free link exchange seo training uk

-----
CLIENT 3 SAMPLE SPACE
[url=http://provenheightincrease.co.cc/ebook/height-enhancing-shoes]height enhancing shoes[/url] http://provenheightincrease.co.cc/ebook/height-enhancing-shoes

[url=http://herpeset.co.cc/cheap/Do-Herpes-Hurt-Genetal-Herpes-Early-Genital-Herpes.html]do herpes hurt genetal herpes early genital herpes[/url]

http://www.ripoffreport.com/specialty-stores/global-life-enhancem/global-life-enhancements-herb-2eb8y.htm

[url=http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977947719]RoboticDinosaurUgobePleoAvailabilityUgobe'sPleoRoboticDinosaurWhereCanIBuyPleoCost[/url]


-----
CLIENT 4 SAMPLE SPACE
[url=http://provenheightincrease.co.cc/ebook/height-increase-stretch]height increase stretch[/url] http://provenheightincrease.co.cc/ebook/height-increase-stretch

[url=http://growyourdick.co.cc/penile/best-penis-enlargement]best penis enlargement[/url] http://growyourdick.co.cc/penile/best-penis-enlargement

http://teethwhiteningstripsreviews.info/xr/teeth-whitening-chattanooga-tennessee.html

http://buycheapplasmatv.info/cgi-bin/index.pl?=oled-hdtv [url=http://buycheapplasmatv.info/cgi-bin/index.pl?=oled-hdtv]oled hdtv[/url]

tefth whitening tooth whitening melbourne teeth whitening midlands Wagga Wagga peroxide teeth whitening Yukon [url=http://teethwhiteningstripsreviews.info/xr/lemon-make-teeth-white]tefth whitening tooth whitening melbourne teeth whitening midlands Wagga Wagga peroxide teeth whitening Yukon[/url]

-----
CLIENT 5 SAMPLE SPACE
[url=http://cheapxrumerservice.co.cc]Cheap Xrumer Service[/url]
[url=http://cheapxrumerservice.co.cc]Cheapest Xrumer Service[/url]
[url=http://cheapxrumerservice.co.cc]Best Xrumer Service[/url]
--------
http://www.gather.com/feedservlet.xml?entityname=buypleodinosaur2entitytype=member&contenttype=articles

http://cheaphdtvplasma.co.cc/television/panasonic-42-plasma-hdtv [url=http://cheaphdtvplasma.co.cc/television/panasonic-42-plasma-hdtv]panasonic 42 plasma hdtv[/url]

[url=http://stopacaiberryscams.info/cgi-bin/index.pl/acai-capsules-for]acai capsules for[/url]